Mail Rail ride access
We ask all visitors to fully read about Mail Rail ride access restrictions, conditions and rules before booking their tickets.
You must arrive at the Mail Rail at The Postal Museum ticket desk at the time printed on the ticket.
- Please note that your ticket provides a time slot for departure, not a specific departure time.
- Upon arrival, you will be allocated to a ride as close to the time printed on your ticket as possible.
- Latecomers will not be admitted on the ride except at our absolute discretion. Read the full Ticket Terms & Conditions before booking.
In the event of an evacuation, guests must be able to walk unaided for a minimum of 100 metres on uneven surfaces with minimal lighting, and up at least 70 steep steps. Guests who do not meet these requirements will be unable to ride.
For guests who cannot ride, we have a Mail Rail Film to give visitors a taste of the experience.
No loose articles (including handbags) permitted on the ride. All items must be left in the cages provided or in a locker. We do not accept any responsibility for loss, theft or damage to personal items.
Visitors of all ages can ride, but children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult over the age of 18.
No food or drink allowed on the ride.
Guests under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol will be refused entry.
May not be suitable for those sensitive to: small spaces, motion, loud noises, flashing lights.
Guests must be able to transfer themselves onto the ride, leaving any aides in the storage provided.
The Mail Rail ride contains conditions which may be unsuitable for those with physical or mobility issues, small children, claustrophobia, or a pre-existing condition that could be made worse by loud noises, flashing lights or confined spaces.
- Visitors descend to 21 metres (70 feet) underground through tunnels no wider than 2.1 metres (7 feet) at their narrowest point.
- The ride lasts approximately 15 minutes, including embarkation and disembarkation.
- The ride contains pitch darkness, loud noises and flashing lights. The use of these effects are limited.
- The ride has a maximum speed of 7.5mph (12 kph).
- Carriages are small and may be unsuitable or uncomfortable for some visitors. Carriage measurements are:
- Floor to canopy (130cm or 51 inches)
- Seat to top canopy (87cm or 34 inches)
- Door to door width (80cm or 31 inches)
- Distance between seats (43cm or 17 inches)
Physical access restrictions
- The ride is on the lower ground floor of Mail Rail, and is accessible via a lift.
- The Mail Rail entrance and Welcome space are on ground level and have step-free access. Our floor plan gives more information.
- We are unable to accomodate wheelchairs or walking aids on the ride.
- Visitors must be able to transfer themselves in and out of the carriages unaided.
We have a Mail Rail Film as an alternative experience for guests who cannot ride.
Mail Rail Film
The Mail Rail Film is available to watch on the lower ground floor of Mail Rail. It allows visitors to experience the audio-visual presentations from the Mail Rail ride.
The film features footage showing the journey through the tunnels, excerpts from the audio soundtrack, and the full-length films from Platforms 1 and 2 of the ride experience.
- Please ask a member of staff if you would like access to the audio-described version of the film.
- Subtitles are provided for those with hearing impairments.
- The presentation space has seating which can be flipped up out of the way to allow access for wheelchair users.