Ride Mail Rail
Take a ride on Mail Rail and experience 15 minutes of immersive underground exploration on our miniature trains. There’s even a surprise or two. Are you ready?
Open everyday (except 24-26 December) from 10.00 – 17.00. Last train departs at 16.30.Buy tickets
Take a 15-minute journey under the streets of London.
Descend into the former engineering depot of Mail Rail – the one hundred year old Post Office railway – board a miniature train and descend into the stalactite-filled tunnels.
Pass deep below Royal Mail’s Mount Pleasant sorting office, see the original and largely unchanged station platforms and be transported back in time. Take in a theatrical experience that peels back the layers of time to the railway’s lively 1930s heyday.
See and hear the people who worked on it, experience their lives below ground and glimpse hidden parts of the railway that kept the mail coursing through London for 22 hours every day.
Ride rules and conditions
We ask all visitors to fully read about Mail rail ride access restrictions, conditions and rules before booking their tickets.
- Loose articles are not permitted on the ride – all belongings must be left in the cages prior to boarding. These are attended but are not locked. Before your ride, you can leave your belongings in lockers at The Postal Museum.
- Pushchairs and buggies must be left in the buggy park on the ground floor of Mail Rail.
- Emergency evacuation. In the event of an emergency, trains may have to be evacuated in the tunnels. All visitors must ensure that they are comfortable walking without assistance on uneven terrain, in a confined space and with low lighting levels for approximately 100 metres (328 feet).
- Descends to 21 metres (70 feet) underground through tunnels no wider than 2 metres (7 feet) at their narrowest point.
- Contains pitch darkness, loud noises and flashing lights. The use of these effects are limited.
- Maximum speed of 7.5mph (12 kph).
- Carriages are small and may be unsuitable or uncomfortable for some visitors. The trains’ measurements are: floor to canopy (130cm or 51 inches); seat to top canopy (87cm or 34 inches); door to door width (80cm or 31 inches); and distance between seats (43cm or 17 inches).
Not sure if the Mail Rail ride is for you?
Need more assistance? Phone us on 0300 0300 700 Monday – Friday from 10.00 to 17.00 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also of interest
Mail Rail Exhibition
Explore the extraordinary stories behind Mail Rail – from conception to resurrection – and the people who made it all possible.Find out more
Brand new to Farringdon, The Postal Museum and Mail Rail offers truly extraordinary spaces available for exclusive venue hire.Read more
Plan your visit
All the practical stuff you need to know for your visit to London's newest attraction.Read more
We aim to make The Postal Museum and Mail Rail as accessible as possible. All disabled visitors are entitled to a free companion ticket to support with their visit.Read more