Location: The Postal Museum, First Floor
Opening hours: 10.00 – 17.00
- Open Tuesday to Friday and the following Saturdays:
- 25 January 2020
- 8 and 22 February 2020
- 14 and 28 March 2020
You do not need to buy a museum ticket, or make an appointment unless you want to view original material. Whether you have never visited before or are a regular user, our staff are here to help you.
What to expect
Visitors to The Discovery Room can:
- Browse our reference library
- View microfilm copies of archival material
- Look at staff magazines, Post Office Circulars, photograph and poster albums
- Search our catalogue and other digital resources
- Explore your family history using our records and Ancestry online
- Get closer to visual material from our collections using the touch table
- Study original material from The Royal Mail Archive in the Archive Reading Room (two forms of ID required).
Discovery Room Mini Exhibitions
An Archivist’s Toolbox
14 – 31 January 2020
Learn more about how staff take care of files which are often hundreds of years old. How have they survived? How can we make sure they survive for future generations?
4 – 14 February 2020
Explore the Royal Weddings featured on stamps and stamp products. From the Silver Wedding Anniversary of King George VI to the most recent wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.
Study original material
If you just want to come and browse the reference area, then you don’t need to do anything in advance! If you know you want to consult original archive material, then some preparation will make your visit go more smoothly.Read more
Information for visitors on general facilities, lockers, computer and internet access, copying and photography in the Discovery Room.Read more
The Postal Museum is the definitive place to find out about past postal employees.Read more
We understand that not everyone can physically visit The Postal Museum, but we want to make the archive as accessible as possible. Our staff will do their best to answer general queries, and point you in the right direction.Read more