Mail Rail ride access
We ask all visitors to fully read about Mail rail ride access restrictions, conditions and rules before booking their tickets.
Ride access restrictions
The Mail Rail ride contains conditions which may be unsuitable for those with physical or mobility issues, small children, claustrophobia, or a pre-exisiting condition that could be made worse by loud noises, flashing lights or confined spaces. We have an Accessible Mail Rail Show to give visitors a taste of the experience.
Physical access restrictions
- The Mail Rail ride is on the lower ground floor of Mail Rail and is accessible via a lift. The Mail Rail entrance and Welcome space are on ground level and have step-free access. Our floor plan gives more information.
- We are unable to accomodate wheelchairs on the ride or walking aids.
- Visitors must be able to transfer themselves in and out of the train unaided.
- In the event of an emergency evacuation, all visitors travelling on the trains must be able to walk unaided on uneven terrain, in a confined space and with low lighting levels for approximately 100 metres, before climbing 70 steps to the surface.
Accessible Mail Rail Show
The Accessible Mail Rail Show, located on the lower ground floor of Mail Rail, allows visitors to experience the audio-visual presentations from the Mail Rail ride. The show features footage showing the journey through the tunnels, excerpts from the audio soundtrack, and the full-length films from Platforms 1 and 2 of the ride experience.
A descriptive narrative will accompany the show for those with visual impairments. Subtitles are provided for those with hearing impairments. The presentation space has seating which can be flipped up out of the way to allow access for wheelchair users.
Ride rules and conditions
Visitors of all ages can ride, but children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Loose articles (including bags, coats and additional items) are not permitted on the ride – all belongings must be left in the cages prior to boarding. We do not accept any responsibility for loss, theft or damage to personal items.
- Pushchairs and buggies must be left in the buggy park on the ground floor of Mail Rail.
- In the event of an emergency, trains may have to be evacuated in the tunnels. All visitors must ensure that they are comfortable walking without assistance on uneven terrain, in a confined space and with low lighting levels for approximately 100 metres.
- Visitors descend to 70 feet underground through tunnels no wider than 7 foot at their narrowest point.
- The ride lasts approximately 20 minutes, including embarkation and disembarkation.
- The ride contains pitch darkness, loud noises and flashing lights. The use of these effects are limited.
- The Ride has a maximum speed of 7.5mph.
- Carriages are small and may be unsuitable or uncomfortable for some visitors. The trains’ measurements are: floor to canopy (130cm); seat to top canopy (87cm); door to door width (80cm); and distance between seats (43cm).