Teacher tips for a First Class visit
Plan your visit
The Postal Museum and Mail Rail is split across two sites, separated by a road with a zebra crossing.
- The Postal Museum Welcome Space, Exhibition galleries, shop, café and toilets are on the ground floor. The Discovery Room, Learning Space, Lunch Room and lockable bag and coat cupboards for schools are on the first floor.
- Mail Rail is across the road. The Welcome Space, shop and Sorted! are on street level. Mail Rail exhibition and Mail Rail ride are accessed by stairs or lift.
- Browse our programmes and choose from facilitated sessions, a self-led visit or a Postal Package with the option to ride Mail Rail or play in Sorted! Make sure activities are suitable for the age of your learners.
- Facilitated sessions start between 10.15 – 10.30am (depending on travel time). Later arrival times must be agreed in advance. Schools can bring up to three classes of 30 pupils per day. Bring more than one class and receive a discount.
- School facilities for sessions include lockable bag and coat cupboards, and 30 minute time-slots in the Lunch Room. Self-led visits can request both subject to availability.
- Mail Rail is available for schools to ride at the following time-slots in the Autumn term. Each time-slot is for approximately 20 people. A class of 30 will be allocated two time-slots.
10.15 – 10.35, 10.35 – 10.55, 10.55 – 11.15, 11.15 – 11.35
- Sorted! is available for children aged 8 and under. One session can accommodate up to 35 children. Schools can book the following time-slots in the Autumn term.
11.00 – 11.45, 12.00 – 12.45, 13.00 – 13.45
Make an early request
- Advanced booking is essential for schools and learning groups. Request your visit early to help us provide your preferred date and activities.
- Complete our schools booking form with accurate information. Identify special educational needs or access requirements to help us plan a first class visit for all your pupils.
- Email confirmation will be sent within two weeks to discuss your request. If you do not receive it in that time email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your Welcome Pack with timetable for your day, guidance notes and payment details will be sent by email when your booking is confirmed.
- Payment must be made at least 30 days before your visit. Check your invoice carefully. Full details of payment methods will be on the invoice.
- Request a familiarisation visit on the schools booking form. Please note this does not include a Mail Rail ride (other restrictions may apply depending on dates).
- Plan your journey. Allow plenty of time for your travel. Schools are encouraged to travel by public transport. There is no parking at the museum. Drop-off and collection points must be arranged with your coach operator.
- Read your Welcome Pack. This will include a timetable for your day, health and safety information and guidance notes for Mail Rail and Sorted! (as relevant to your visit).
- Risk assessments are available for The Postal Museum, Mail Rail and Sorted! Teachers are also encouraged to complete their own.
- Learning resources and gallery trails can be downloaded from our website to support your visit. Use them to introduce the topic, and prepare learners for the visit.
On the day
- Arrive promptly in The Postal Museum Welcome Space at least 15 minutes before the start of your first activity.
- School briefings will be provided by a friendly member of our team who will check your booking confirmation.
- Brief your class about the visit. Divide the class into groups, and give each adult a copy of your timetable. Print gallery trails and resources as needed.
- Health and safety information will be sent with your Welcome Pack. Teachers are responsible for the general health and safety and behaviour of pupils.
- Adult:child ratios must be as agreed in your booking. Schools that bring additional pupils/adults may have to pay full child/adult rates (at discretion of the museum).
- Minimum adult : child ratios (not including additional SEND support):
- FDN: 1:3
- KS1: 1:4
- KS2: 1:6
- KS3: 1:10
- KS4+: 1:15
Share your experience
- Photograph your visit (flash photography is restricted in The Postal Museum) and share them with us on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram.
- Feedback forms with prepaid envelopes will be given to teachers. Please post your comments to us, to help provide an engaging learning experience for schools.
Got a question for us?
Call 020 8183 0064
Read our Terms and Conditions for schools for more information including changes and cancellations.